Here’s to a fresh new year, and a fresh new recipe that will dictate what’s to come on Katy’s Kitchen in 2015.
I’m not shying away from sugar this January. I’m not about to go on some butter-free, sugar-free health kick. I’m going to celebrate my passion of simple, straightforward baked goods and turn this blog into a more cohesive collection of recipes for home cooks. I’m cutting out the noise, I’m a baker at heart and Katy’s Kitchen will reflect that.
So, today I bring you a recipe for easy, moist, chocolate peppermint cupcakes that use one bowl and no mixer. With a little help from adults for the ganache, kids could make this recipe in a snap.
Even though we’re past Christmas, I know most of you will never tire of a good chocolate mint cupcake and this is just the one to keep on your back-burner for a rainy day. The topping is a simple ganache, adding some depth to the light chocolate flavour in the cake.
Leftover candy canes? Crush them on top for a pretty decoration and a sweet, stick to your teeth crunch you’ll love. Enjoy 🙂
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 4 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine, and make a well in the centre.
- In the centre, add the vanilla, peppermint extract, cider vinegar, and melted butter. Gradually add the water, whisking to combine.
- Pour the batter in the liners, filling about 2/3 full. Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Add the chocolate chips and the coconut milk in a small saucepan. Heat over low-medium, stirring occasionally until the chips are melted and mixed with the coconut milk.
- Place a piece of parchment paper underneath a wire rack, and place the cupcakes on the rack.
- Spoon the ganache overtop the cupcakes, and use the back of the spoon to spread it evenly. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top. Serve.