I told you we weren’t saying goodbye to mint.
This mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt might be my best frozen dessert to date. That’s saying alot, since I don’t have an ice cream maker and often rely on pops and banana ice-cream for my frozen dessert fix.
When I saw a recipe for fresh mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt on Heidi’s blog, I knew I had to try it. I still have a crazy overgrowth of mint, and mint chocolate chip just happens to be one of my favourite ice cream flavours.
The recipe comes from the Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook, and if you haven’t checked out their blog yet you better do it soon. Sara and Hugh Forte will leave your mouth watering with their wholesome and creative dishes.
I gave it a little twist with coconut milk and honey. Surprisingly, no one could taste the coconut. More importantly, I couldn’t taste the honey. You’ll see honey in many of my recipes, but you usually won’t be able to taste it. I’m weirdly particular over the situations where I like the true taste of honey.
Drizzled over plain yogurt and walnuts? Love it. Spread over waffles? Barf. Count me out. I told you. Weirdly particular.
The steeped mint leaves shine through in this mint chocolate chip frozen yogurt. You could pretty much brush your teeth with it, it’s that fresh.
Be sure to use Greek yogurt with probiotics. Greek yogurt is the secret to making this dessert nice and thick. Probiotics are important for happy tummies. Although researchers are unaware of the specific amounts needed, studies have shown that probiotics aid in digestion. If you’re like me and love your greens, this is always a good thing to keep in mind.
In the directions I’ve included how to make this without an ice cream maker, but if you do have one I believe you could finish at step 4 and transfer the ingredients to your magic machine. Then, package it up and mail some along to me. 🙂
- 1 and ½ cups fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup plus 2 TB honey
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cups 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Roughly chop the mint leaves and place in a medium-sized saucepan with the coconut milk. Turn the heat to medium. Stir occasionally and press on the mint leaves with the spoon to release the oils. Bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the honey and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and let the mint leaves steep for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Press down on the mint leaves to release any extra liquid into the bowl. Discard the leaves.
- Add the peppermint extract and Greek yogurt to the bowl. Whisk to combine. Pour the mixture into a freezer-proof bowl (stainless steel works best) and place in the freezer.
- Set a timer for 30 minutes. Stir the mixture every 30 minutes for 2 hours, scraping down the sides and whisking to combine.
- Melt the chocolate with the coconut oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Drizzle over the partially frozen yogurt and whisk to break up the chocolate into little pieces.
- Freeze overnight until solid.
- minutes before serving, set the frozen yogurt on the counter to defrost until scoopable.
Recipe adapted from the Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook